Friday, March 1, 2013

Bonnie Franklin

Another piece of my childhood has passed away. Bonnie Franklin, who I knew as Ann Romano on the wonderful sitcom ONE DAY AT A TIME, has slipped the surly bonds. I can only imagine what Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips must be thinking right now. Talk about bizarre: after the horror-show of drugs Mack lived through back in the day, it is Ms Franklin who we are mourning instead. God does move in mysterious ways.

So maybe Ms Franklin was not a widely recognized 1970s icon... but she should've been. We tend to forget that ONE DAY AT A TIME was a rather daring show for its time: two girls being raised by a divorced woman who chose divorce and who -- gasp -- had a dating life and ENJOYED IT. I am woman hear me roar, indeed.

But what the deuce does this have to do with me? Well, ONE DAY AT A TIME is one of those shows that children like me -- ones who were raised on the TV of the 1970s -- always tend to remember fondly.

ALL IN THE FAMILY
THE JEFFERSONS
MAUDE
GOOD TIMES
M*A*S*H
LOVE BOAT
FANTASY ISLAND
BUCK ROGERS
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
CHiPs
HAPPY DAYS
LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY
... and yes, ONE DAY AT A TIME

I have fond memories of watching the show with my mom. The show was anchored by the ever-present beautifully red-haired mama Romano, flawed but fabulous, providing a moral compass for her beloved Julie and Barbara... the multi-episode arc where Julie runs away... Barbara's friend who tries to kill herself... so many memories. I think it is important to take a moment to breathe and to thank God for our memories. Ultimately, it is our memories which will guide us into the after-life. Rest well, Ms Franklin. You are missed.


And perhaps it is time to finally release more seasons of ONE DAY AT A TIME on home-DVD? It's been 6 years since Season One was released; how about we honor Bonnie Franklin by releasing the rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment