Sunday, February 17, 2013

2 of 2: Invocabit

Some words about the beginning of the Lenten season...

As I prepared for this first Sunday in Lent, I found myself wondering about the word Lent itself. What does it mean? So, of course, like the good seminarian I am, I looked it up. It turns out that Lent is a medieval English word, and it is from the same root that gives us "lengthen" and "long." It was originally a reference to how the days are getting longer as we move toward Spring. Now there is no doubt that these next few weeks build up to a remembrance of a very violent episode in our religious history; yet, even our own vernacular language reminds us that the days are growing longer. My friends, God is giving us more light each day. Let us solemnly move through Lent together, never forgetting that this dark tunnel ends in a light more dazzling and full of love than we can perceive. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment