Sunday, August 7, 2011

We Have Work To Do

So many things speak so loudly these days.

My new life at City Of Refuge SF continues to move forward... God is good.

Today at church there was a Moment For Social Justice ... one of the ministry staff explained Ramadan to the congregation: what it means, what its theological underpinning is, universal praxes associated with it, and by doing so she drew parallels between Christian and Muslim praxis. From that point, she asked a simple question: if Christians and Muslims worship the same God, and share so much theology, then why are we killing each other? You could've heard a pin drop. It was awesome awesome awesome and given the context [first week of Ramadan, and the day after the loss of 22 SEALs, 7 Afghan soldiers, and a civilian interpreter in the war in Afghanistan], it was an important lesson which I want to lift up for all to hear.

In the next few days, we will have the first meeting of a new ministry program that we are hoping to start: a ministry focusing on addiction recovery through faith. Oy, it's gonna get interesting!

And, I stepped forward... consulted with one of the ministerial team after today's service... next Sunday 8/14 will mark exactly 1000 days since I got Saved and they are going to recognize it in front of the congregation. PRAISE THE LORD.

Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Relieve the troubles of my heart and free me from my anguish. Look on my affliction and my distress and take away all my sins. See how numerous are my enemies and how fiercely they hate me! Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take  R E F U G E  in you. May integrity and uprightness protect me because my hope, LORD, is in you. 
(Psalm 25:16-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment