Thursday, August 11, 2011

God Is Still Speaking. And Teaching.

EdNote: written Wednesday 8/10/2011 but published Thursday 8/11/2011

I attended Taizé at MCC-SF this evening. I'd been there a few times before; the whiplash-inducing juxtaposition between the still, quiet, meditative musically focused praxis of Taizé and the full-body experience of the praxis at COR-SF is quite... well, whiplash-inducing. In absolutely the best way possible.

In terms of the formation of my own personal praxis, it is interesting to me how I seem to need both extremes. Damn! Isn't that how it always is with me? Manic moves and drowsy dreams, living in the middle between the two extremes. Yes, I really did just drop a Hall & Oates quote into this post. Sue me. I have, for as long as I can remember, been a walker between two extreme worlds... it is present in my description of my ideal man (ask me about that sometime if you care to know more), my ideal home, my ideal wealth-level, my ideal job, and on and on and on.

Interestingly enough, though, since I took up the banner of Christ there has been a noticeable pull of justification toward embracing this down-the-middle-between-the-two-extremes nature. It seems that God wants me to be both a space-holder in Pentecostalist praxis and a swimmer in the Olympic-scale choral harmonies of Taizé. Isn't it interesting that two such extreme polarities co-exist in worshipping the Christ, that the two polarities are directly connected by the work of Bishop Yvette Flunder and Reverend Elder Jim Mitulski (both theologically and literally), and that I happened to step into this legacy at this point in time?

God is still speaking, and God is still teaching.
And God is good. And God is always in charge.

And I am grateful beyond words.

I walk into MCC-SF early and find myself talking to a nice man named Victor. A fellow Southerner. And it turns out that Victor is a PSR grad. And on the ministerial staff at MCC-SF. Victor asks me "so, are you looking for a field placement?" The angels laugh. The next thing I know, I am being walked back to the church offices and introduced to everyone there. Including the head pastor. There was discussion of a series of one-hour workshops I want to offer to the community on Scriptural exegesis based from the original languages and cultures, focusing on verses traditionally used against queerfolk. And how I am in absolutely no rush since my FieldEd year won't begin until Fall 2012. And, along the way, I meet Mike... he is a member of the choir and is therefore one of those beautiful voices I have been blessed to hear singing those beautiful harmonies in the Taizé services this summer. Upon mentioning my status as a PSR seminarian, he smiles and says "so I guess I will see you in a few weeks." Mike is starting PSR's MDiv-core classes this Fall. I love God.

I will extol the LORD at all times; His praise will always be on my lips. I will glory in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt His name together. I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; He saved him out of all his troubles. 
(Psalm 34:1-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment