Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Spiritual Journal Entry #4

The theme of the week? Language. This was the week that I led my small group in a spiritual practice. I sang three Hebrew lines from a standard Passover Seder liturgy and then had them sing a dual-note Κύριε Ελέησον chant in call-and-response fashion while I sang the Beatitudes from the Sermon On The Mount in the same two notes. The irony is that another classmate had just led us in prayer using a Psalm which he read in English and then in Tongan. It truly is a blessing to be surrounded by so many different languages and modes of expression in our various connections to God. Now if I can just manage to get through this latest round of cough-gack-shit! Yes, that's right. I am apparently sick. Again. Let me be at peace and know that God has my back... I missed church this past Sunday, and my Monday morning NT class, and my Tuesday evening class as well. It's not a good time to be sick. LORD, I ask you to carry me through this period in the semester when things get so crazy.

May my cry come before you, LORD; give me understanding according to your word. May my supplication come before you; deliver me according to your promise. May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees. May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous. May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts. I long for your salvation, LORD, and your law gives me delight. Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me. I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands. (Psalm 119:169-176)

No comments:

Post a Comment