Sunday, April 21, 2013

More Milestones and Millstones

Today was a magic day. Arthur C Clarke once wrote that in every 100 days of our lives, only about 3 days qualify as magic days; today was definitely one of them for me. Yes, I got to preach and I got to show off my exegetical skills... Peter from Πέτρος from πέτρα meaning rock. As in, blockheaded dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks apostle Peter. But also the first of the Twelve who re-lit the fire of life at Joppa when he brought Tabitha (-aka- Δορκάς) back from dead... rock + oil = πέτρα + έλιαο = PETROLEUM. And I connected it to last week's events in Boston, plus the book of Job, CS Lewis about Satan, and Psalm 23. Yes indeedly, I rock.

But it was a magic day for a different reason. Today I did the Communion Liturgy for the first time. It was truly humbling to handle the chalice, look my congregants in the eye, and say the cup of salvation to each of them as I led them in this ancient ritual. And it felt like one of the most natural things I have ever done.

LET EVERYTHING THAT HAS BREATH PRAISE THE LORD.
PRAISE THE LORD.
- Psalm 150:6

These are they who have come out of the great ordeal; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
- Revelation 7:14b

No comments:

Post a Comment